Woodblocks, better

Hello again!  I've been a bad blogger.  The fourth quarter at my office is always crazy, and this year its been even more so.  We also had a death in the family at the beginning of the month and then Christmas to contend with, so I apologize if you've been wondering where I'd gone.

In my last post I mentioned that I'd been picking up old Japanese woodblock prints for the living room.  I finally decided on a small, simple, black moulding, and have two back from the framers so far.

We've got a little traditional/contemporary/Asian thing going on here and I'm really happy with how these look.  The archival rag mats are thicker than usual for just a little bit of dimension, and the stark black and white focuses the eye on the images.  I think they feel a little bit more graphic as well.


Brett and I celebrated our 15th anniversary of the 15th of December, another traditional blog post I missed.  The last few years instead of buying each other gifts we've bought a piece of art, so we we focused the hunt on another woodblock.

eBay has a ton of prints I don't want, but among the crap there are a few jewels.  I watched this print for a while, even though the opening bid of $345 was way too much for me.  Printed in 1861, its titled "Actor Portraying a Dashing Youth."


A few days before our anniversary I was sitting at work when my phone app went off letting me know the auction was about to end.  There was a "Make Offer" option, so I floated a lowball and went on about my day.  Checking my email later, I was shocked (and thrilled) to find my offer was accepted.  Score!   

I thought I'd have it back from the framer and was waiting to post, but the holiday seems to have put them a little behind.  I hope it will be ready this weekend.

I probably shouldn't put anything on the wall until I have the number I want, but I like them so much I probably won't wait.  I've got spackle and paint if I have to move them and need to fix a few errant nail holes.


4 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

yes hang now -you can always spackle and paint -or perhaps the holes will be covered by the pictures later ;-) haha. No one will be the wiser!
They look great.

Russ Manley said...

Happy anniversary and good wishes for the New Year to you guys!

ChrisToronto said...

I like your taste!
Congrats on the anniversary. As David Bowie famously crooned, "It Ain't Easy." But most of us who have been there would agree, it's nearly always worth it. And nearly always better than the alternative.

DimensiX said...

Dimensix
Rumah Minimalis
Kamar Mandi
Pintu Rumah
Jendela Geser Atas
Model Jendela Aluminium
Keramik Kamar Mandi
Pintu
Jendela