Here is about 40 inches of bathroom wall where the new sink will go. Fitting in nicely between the corner and a door, the only problem was going to be centering things. The Resto cabinet is sized to slip right in between studs (as am I!) but that was going to shift everything just slightly to the right. Further right than I could deal with. So with Brett, a measuring tape, a square, and the two power saws my mother bought me last week as an early birthday present, today we got down to it.
We did a dry fit before we nailed in the final board and it fit like a glove. It took careful planning and a crazy amount of measuring and marking, but this is the crowning achievement of the weekend.
The floor on this half of the bathroom is in good shape so we went ahead and tacked down new vapor barrier. Not a huge accomplishment I know, but part of the process.
What really does matter in the grand scheme is a solid subfloor. The old shower was cement inside a lead liner. For the most part it held up just fine, but the tile around it has been shot for some time, and with it the walls and part of the floor. Trimming back to the center of the floor joists and avoiding extraneous framing for drains and vents took longer than we thought. Piecing in too seemed a bit unwieldy, but neither of us were prepared to just up and replace the entire floor. The end result, while not a textbook repair I'm sure, is solid and flat.
Obviously theres a bit more of that to come. As mentioned, the plumber has to come back and do some things so we can fix around the toilet, and then we'll really be ready to move. Floor tile underlayment, pony wall, insulation and drywall are up next, in that order.
Brett is cleaning up and heading out to pick up some BBQ. After the weekend we've had grilled meat seems only fitting.