Got the light, all I need is the dining room


Our realtor showed us a house last week, so I'm shopping again for the rooms in my head. The dining room in this particular 1952 ranch has great mouldings and a coved ceiling. This polished nickel lantern is 14 inches in diameter by 24 inches long. Imagine a pair of them hanging over my dining room table. Sorry the picture is so tiny, the website would only let me crib the thumbnail.
***Update*** I totally forgot to give credit. The lantern is from Ethan Allen, believe it or not. $619 each. Not inexpensive, but you could certainly spend a lot more, it doesn't seem out of line to me. If you want to see a bigger picture, they've redone their website, and I like the new look and functionality. It also appears that you can buy most non-custom items online now, which was looooong overdue. There are plenty of us who don't want to go in and work with their design consultants, but would be happy to order something online.

5 comments:

Raina Cox said...

That light fixture is so lovely - excellent choice.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the hurricane, it's modern yet completely classic. Agree with Raina, excellent choice!

Karena said...

David, I really love this look. I am also looking for lanterns (that are not priced out of this world.)

Decorina said...

Hey David, I worked for EA for about 2 years. Hated it. And, a word about buying online: looks to me like a way to cut the designers out of commissions and increase their profit. I would ask you to consider going to the store and finding a designer you can stand to work with and ordering stuff from them so they can make a living. They are strictly on commission - so even if you have a name, find what you want online and call a designer to order. I'm sensitive to this because I worked for a store that was a franchise and it was not pretty the lengths they would go to keeping our pay as low as possible.

The other thing you need to know is that they turn their merchandise every year - especially lighting. Ask a designer (one who really does her job by keeping files on her customers) to let you know when that lantern goes on sale - almost everything in the store goes on sale at some point during its year's cycle. You will then get 20-30% off. And still free delivery, etc.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous said...

David, where are you? We miss you.