Bon Voyage!

ArchitectDesign posted about l'Opera Garnier the other day as he's off to Paris this week. That post reminded me of this photo I took of the balustrade surrounding the opera house. Yes, I'm a geek and I take pictures of parts of buildings. I love this shape, I'm totally trying to figure out who could translate this into big pillar candlesticks. Picture it in turned wood with a waxed finish.

The opera house is an amazing building because, like so many buildings in the city, it's chock full of beautiful details. There's just no end of things to see. I'm looking forward to reading his impressions upon his return. (Post your sketchbook too!)

Have a great time Stefan!

6 comments:

Karena said...

Would make wonderful candlesticks. David , can't you do this project? I'll buy a pair!

ChrisToronto said...

David, you're a man after my own heart. I once did a column for Canada's national newspaper called "Details" about, what else? architectural details around the city. I'm convinced that people going about their business, yacking on their cell phones never look up to see what's right in front of them. Oh well, their loss.
Those are some handsome balustrades!

Jill said...

I do the same thing...I went to Venice and came back with pictures of doorknobs, tilework and lighting.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh i'm so flattered! I had a small scare that I fell sick with the flu Friday but I'm doing better (right before the trip! i nearly died of fright!)
Love your photo here - so great -i do the same thing and take 'boring' photos of building parts that no one seems to appreciate but me (and you too apparently!).

home before dark said...

Love house parts! It think this photo would look great in black and white!

Off topic: I don't know if you have stumbled upon the website DesignWorkshop. It's in N. Carolina I think. They are doing what RH is doing. I was interested in the stools which are a rustic version of Design Within Reach Precision stools. You have to inquire about prices and I just heard back from them. The stool without back is 175/with back is 235. Much better than DWR. Anyway, from one geek to another, thought you might like check this site out.

David said...

Ooh, I'm off to check that out right now, thanks!

I stopped in Nell Hill's yesterday (the KC store). Very similar to Resto, upstairs Mary Carol has upholstered pieces covered in natural linen, including some square and round back dining chairs with light oak frames.