Resto finally makes a move

For a long while now I've been completely apathetic towards Restoration Hardware. They have some handsome furnishings of course, but nothing I thought was especially inspired, and nothing I was at all anxious to own. And while I know that choices are good, the streamlining of things into collections, with every frame available in every fabric, it just rubs me the wrong way. It's like they sucked any little bit of specialness out of everything they offer. Until today.

The catalog came yesterday but I didn't pick it up until a commercial during Wipeout tonight, and I'm completely serious when I say that the first 65 pages made me squeal. Reclaimed wood, aged steel, architectural and vintage inspiration, chunky proportions, lighter colors, polished chrome...wow. Finally some pieces with some attitude. I won't comment on everything, but I wanted to post some favorites. Enjoy.






And this doesn't include the upholstered pieces covered in what looks like vintage linen with that gorgeous, chunky texture. I'll stop in this weekend and see if it's all as good in person.

6 comments:

Raina Cox said...

I'm with you, David. A vast improvement over past collections.

Karena said...

Aren't these great. A superior retailer making a bold statement and turn in style during this difficult economic time. I think it will work!

Living the life in The Little City said...

Agreed. The new items are stunning. I like the bed that they call St. James, but think I might tire of the ornateness (is that a word?).

How's the quality of their furniture?

David said...

That's my question too Kathleen. I'm a fan of their lighting and towels, but we don't own any of their furniture. I've seen pieces in the store and the finish often looks a bit tattered.

A retail environment makes for above normal wear I know, but I still have questions on their finishes. My hope would be that it would be less of an issue with reclaimed wood pieces.

Anonymous said...

would love to draw that handsome face!

hello gorgeous said...

I love the new cafe chairs!