Dinner at Rachel's

Brett's law partner Rachel is a great cook, and we've enjoyed countless dinners (and insane amounts of wine) at this very table. It started out as a regular farmhouse-ish table in a medium pine finish, but healthy amounts of entertaining and life with a certain three year old had taken their toll. Rachel asked me about a fix.

Her kitchen cabinets are an off white, so I painted the base to match, including a brown overglaze. For the top I thought a rougher finish might have more mileage, so after a chemical strip I pulled out the power sander and got on it. Two coats of dark varnish were sealed and followed with a rubdown with a black glaze. A coat of polyacrylic finished both top and base.

Rachel took it home today and both she and her husband were happy with the look. I'm happy with the way it turned out, as well as how it looks with her black Windsor chairs. She's thinking about a new rug, and I think that would complete the update nicely.

3 comments:

Raina Cox said...

I love the contrast as well as the finish on the top!

Anonymous said...

Hi, David, I was just pointed over here by Raina because I posted about Modern Family today and she told me about your cousin. What a small world! Between you two, your family gatherings must be hilarious. Have a good weekend.

Russ Manley said...

Very cool David. I admire your talent & skill, I'd be all thumbs at something like that . . . .