The MidMal Gift Guide

Its December, its cold, and I don't think I've ever done a gift guide. We cap Christmas pretty low at Chez Malaise, so think of it as a guide not only for the holiday, but for gifting (yourself or others) all year long. Spreading it out is much better than concentrated Christmas excess.

I somehow forgot to upload this when I first posted, it's C. Jere's Raindrops wall sculpture, available through Jonathan Adler. Love.


I saw these at Hall's and guessed that they were made by Global Views, and I was right.

They're the Geometry Covered Vases, and 19 and 25.5 inches tall respectively. Global Views' website has a handy dealer locater if Hall's isn't convenient. Note, the ones I saw were much brighter than these appear, which is good. The green was way more acid than grass.

It wouldn't be my gift guide if there wasn't a lamp, so how about two.
From Barbara Cosgrove's BCL line, the Glitz lamp. Eighteen inches tall, silver on porcelain, $356 for a pair, which is the only way they're sold. (Pairs are good, we like pairs.)

Imagine a tree full of silver balls and these.

Unglazed porcelain origami crane ornaments, $48 per pair at Gump's. At that price a full tree is going to require some severe markdowns, but still they're very cool.

I love mirrors, especially big, round ones.



From Global Views again, the Galt mirror. 36" of beveled mirror and pale wood goodness. I can think of a number of places this would be really great.

Good gifting always requires a little work, but please do not steal this Winifred Turner sculpture, Crouching Youth, from the Victoria & Albert in London.

Austin Productions made an authorized cast of the original. I've been watching one on eBay forever, but it seems to have disappeared. If you ever run across one I need to know.

Getting to those covered vases at Hall's took me right past the shelves of Votivo, where I remembered how much I like their Clean Crisp White scent.
I know, I don't really want to look at a reed diffuser either. The problem is, while Votivo's candles smell great, they also smoke a lot. Like enough to set the alarm off when you leave one burning in your condo bathroom on Christmas eve. Tuck this in a discreet spot and you're good to go.

This isn't just a list of things for the house though. Everyone wants a little something for themselves.

Like a black guccissima bifold wallet, $280 from Gucci. Just remember, men are often particular about wallets, don't give one unless you know what he likes.

Jewelry is much the same. He's likely either a jewelry guy or he isn't.

I wish David Yurman wouldn't plaster his initials all over things, but even with, I like the multiple pieces of the Special Petrvs Amulet Necklace, $1350 from Neiman Marcus. The 22" chain seems a little long, but that's an easy fix. I think it would be a lot more interesting up a bit closer to the throat.

Another good idea I must mention is a gift thats fun and does some good at the same time. What could be more fun than a puppy! The doing good part comes from getting one from your regional rescue.

This sweet little guy (and his brother - another pair!) is available from a shelter in St. Louis, but there are plenty of extra dogs everywhere. And if you're not up to housebreaking or dealing with all the mess (schnauzers are a handful until they're about two) there are plenty of adult and senior dogs who need a home as much, if not more than the babies. This is one gift you should ask about before hand. We're serious about dogs here, and 'forever home' means forever.

And finally, the big gun. Yes, every winter we're bombarded with the commercials. Often the family in the driveway presenting Mom with her new Lexus.


I say if you really want it make it a December to Remember, go vintage. This 76 Eldorado convertible is fab and way more reliable than something old and British or Italian. 19 feet long and not much more than that to the gallon. White is nice, and black is always good. (Red is a bit much in my mind.) Perfect, to me at least, is Innsbruck Blue, with the blue leather interior. Get the parade boot too. You probably won't end up behind a marching band, but you never know.

10 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Bravo, David!

The most original gift list I've ever seen.

I'm off to check out the Barbara Cosgrove goodies...

David said...

Thank you Raina =) I was cleaning up the photos all over my desktop when I realized I'd left off the Jere wall sculpture, and it was my favorite thing. Fixed now.

Anonymous said...

Could I please have everything on your list? Especially the Jere wall scultpture. Unfortunately they're impossible to source in Europe (even if I had the spare cash.) Love your blog; am off to read more.

shannon said...

i am simply going to forward your list to my husband, with your name crossed out. :)

xoxo

David said...

Lavalotti, welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Shanny, with the exception of the V&A sculpture its all available locally or online. Just to make it easy for him =)

ChrisToronto said...

David, you have to know the puppy pic is breaking my heart. If I had a vet in the family I'd be at the animal shelter tomorrow.
Love the Glitz lamps and porcelain origami? Awesome idea.

David said...

Chris, I know! Alex was a year old when we got him, so it's been 12 years since we had a tiny puppy. It's killing me knowing they're just a few hours away...

home before dark said...

Is there nothing sweeter than the miniature schnauzer still in puppy cut? We got our late, still beloved MacKenzie at 8 weeks. Still remember the event...like bringing home a new baby. Not quite ready for new puppy but that picture of this little guy is etched in my heart.

Karena said...

David a super gift list. Love it all. Aren't Linda's lamps the best and I adore the Mirror from Global Views!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

anita said...

Hi David!
I love your list (especially the cute doggie!)
FYI -- A trick for a non-smoking candle: cut the wick very very short before you light it.
No smoke!
:)