Taking a break from the hand-wringing

Nobody has bought this pile, I mean scheduled a showing here at our comfortable home, in the last week and it's gotten kind of maddening. We're on the realtor tour this Tuesday, so hopefully we'll see some traffic from that. In the interim I'm perking myself up with some fantasy decorating. This time, the living room. All photos courtesy of the Baker website.

The house currently has a living and family room, divided by an interior wall that for some reason contains a large picture window, complete with it's original barkcloth drapes. We'll take that out, as well as the half walls that separate the entry from the living room, leaving one large space. There's a floor-to-ceiling panel of ribbed glass that divides the entry in half, and we'll reposition it to the left of the front door to visually separate the entry. Moving a closet in one of the front bedrooms leaves us with a perfectly rectangular entry, and to the right we'll place Baker's Chinoiserie Cabinet.
At the front of the house there's a large picture window, which should be replaced with something even larger, with oversized panes and a steel frame. In front of that we'll position a pair of Barbara Barry's reeded base sofas. Other than a shade of gray I haven't decided on fabric.
Between the sofas, Jaques Garcia's scroll cocktail table. You know how I love greek key.


And down toward the arch into the dining room, another small conversation area made up of a pair of the Architype collection tub chair. These covered in my perennial favorite, charcoal mohair velvet.

Finally, straight ahead from the entry, in the former family room, is a flat wall of stone that contains the fireplace. The perfect spot for lounge chairs. I love the shape of the Jacques Garcia Tuilleries chair. He has one called the Sorbonne chair that has an even funkier wing, but I think this would be the most comfortable for reading by the fire with schnauzers snoozing at my feet. Definitely in black leather.

Opposite the fireplace wall there's a wall of built-ins that we'll resize to fit a television and components. A small sectional should work there as we plan to open up the back wall of the house with three pairs of french doors out to the patio. I haven't found a sectional I think is perfect so I'll keep looking for that.
Your assignment for the week: think "Sell!"





8 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Your Baker dealer is going to be so happy. ;) I really love that last chair. Just gorgeous.

Sending good thoughts your way, babe!

Brett said...

The operative words in that post are "fantasy decorating" (as in money is no object). Right, sweetheart?

Mrs. Blandings said...

Sending positive vibes your way.

David said...

Hi Sweetie, from the website:

"For our customers, they mean a sense of integrity and the promise of things chosen well rather than often."

Would it help if I said this would be furniture we'd die with? =)

Karena said...

David, I know this will happen for you and Brett! Then you may even want a work of my art, come see the latest on my site!

hello gorgeous said...

Okay, I guess I should have read this before I emailed you. So, you made an offer on that place contingent on selling yours? I am totally sending you good vibes!!

I love your new decorating ideas! My first house was black and gray. I recently bought a black chinoiserie secretary from Ethan Allen and I love it. I never would've bought a secretary in my life but it replaced one of my husband's.

Fingers crossed for you!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm redoing my boyfriend's apt and we're thinking of the greek scroll coffeetable -glad to see you approve :-) We're doing it slowly over time (cash basis) but it should be done soon and I'll be sure to post it!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm redoing my boyfriend's apt and we're thinking of the greek scroll coffeetable -glad to see you approve :-) We're doing it slowly over time (cash basis) but it should be done soon and I'll be sure to post it!