Adornment

I love jewelry. I know, people have such strong opinions on men and jewelry: not too much, not at work, not too big...whatever.

Chez Malaise is likely getting a new furnace (thank goodness we have two), and almost all of my tax refund is going towards that. But I've had my eye on Konstantino's Pegasus Ring for a bit now, so I'm thinking about skimming a little off the top (with no stones its surprisingly reasonable) and treating myself.

Speaking of taxes...Mine are very simple so I did them Friday night. AB May was scheduled about the furnace on Saturday morning so I thought it would be good to know what I've got coming. Turbo Tax made it a breeze as it always does. Then at the end it gave me the strangest option, to announce on Facebook that I'd finished my taxes. (I did, and Brett promptly liked it)

About Facebook. I resisted until just recently, in spite of invitations from everyone from Brett to my 73 year-old mother to people I used to work with. "It doesn't do anything" I said. Eventually I made myself a page, although I didn't tell anyone. Just as I suspected, friend requests started arriving from high school classmates. Not that I think thats bad, but it confirmed what I already believed, that Facebook functions mainly as a way to find people you went to school with.

It's been entertaining to see what people are up to, but I'm not sold. The status updates on people's games are annoying, and I've already had to unfriend someone who apparently spent Saturday night typing every single solitary thought into the status update box filling my screen with, uh, not much. Brett says you can hide things or people you don't necessarily want live updates on, but it's not readily apparent to me where those controls are and I'm not prepared to work very hard to find them.

I've yet to say no to a friend request, so if you can find me and want to be my friend, come on.

11 comments:

home before dark said...

No to facebook. Big YES to ring! My husband does our taxes thank god. He can be a bit OCD about that. I believe our refund will be going down the toilets. By the way, can't say enough good things about Toto Ultra Max! If you spend big bucks on a toilets at least you want to feel flush!

Raina Cox said...

Still resisting Facebook's siren call. Anyone who wants to find me can google my name and the glory which is La Lamp Shade will pop up.

I'm trying not to think about our taxes. Transglobal moving expenses, reporting a foreign salary, hybrid vehicle credit - I'm pretty sure something's gonna get screwed up.

Raina Cox said...

Sweet ring BTW.

Living the life in The Little City said...

I don't understand the Facebook appeal. If you figure out why it's useful, please share.

Decorina said...

Love the ring - gotta have it I think.

No Facebook for me. The husband is on it - talks to his family mostly. All my family is gone and I don't get the attraction. Latest post has info in mass murderer in my birth family. Guess that may be why I had such a small one this time around??? Ha.

I also have to say - I love Turbo Tax. My husband always wants to pay my accountant. This may be the year to stop with that, even though the three categories of railroad income can be tiresome it is still do-able.

Karena said...

I admit I have done a Facebook page, no to Twitter, etc, it is too much to keep up with!! David I bet you will find we have several mutual friends on Facebook!

Karena said...

PS David make a comment on my page so I can find you...or send the link!
Good looking ring!

Toad said...

Can I still be your friend without a facebook page,or Twitter? I've had everything explained about them except why.

Do like the ring though.

Russ Manley said...

Gorgeous ring, bud, go for it.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I hate facebook -but have a page to keep people happy. I never update it, I don't read 'status' things and I removed my 'wall'. Much like owning a telephone -it seems to be expected these days.
I'm not a fan of jewelry (i'd rather have travel or china!) but the one splurge I'm planning on someday is a cartier tank watch. I love watches and thats the ONE for me!

hello gorgeous said...

I have FB but refuse to Twitter. I don't even have time to blog properly anymore.