For the ladies

Look what I found.

You didn't know I took requests?

Raina and Mrs. B. mentioned liking the bit of wallpaper I found during thermostat installation, so I thought I'd see what I could uncover.

The flocked paper, a sort of 'spanish tile' design in white and gold came off the walls in sheets with almost no effort at all. And you know, what's underneath is way better. It's ruined, not to mention on the west and south walls only, so theres nothing to save, but as patterns go its pretty interesting. The coloration is nice and neutral as well which I think makes a lot of pattern easier to handle.

After reading their comments I got curious, and managed to strip both walls in five minutes. Now THIS paper is stuck, so if it needs to be stripped we won't get off anywhere near as easily. The dining room remember has very little wall, and I'm thinking about going dark dark. I'd planned to paint, but I'm also thinking about an off-black textured paper in here as well, which would just make things that much easier.

Also let me clarify something. The only reason there are pictures on the wall is so there aren't pictures on the floor.

11 comments:

Toad said...

That is pretty cool paper. Stuck wallpaper is easily? removed with DIF.

Living the life in The Little City said...

I like that wallpaper.

By the way, what's wrong with pictures on the floor? That's where I have mine...

ChrisToronto said...

By all means change the room up but the way it looks now, you could live with it for quite awhile and move on to more pressing areas of the home. Let this pattern have a swan song.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I think it looks pretty terrif - much better than the flocked. Isn't it a little more calming? You were busy!

David said...

Thank you Toad, adding that to my list of products that work.

Kathleen, trust me, I have some on the floor as well =)

Chris, you're absolutely right, this room has no pressing needs so it'll remain as is for a while.

Mrs B., I actually like it a lot, and it is calmer now. Finally, something I won't mind living with.

home before dark said...

Lucky you know what to do! I still quake at the memory of trying to removed flocked wallpaper put on in 1968 over fresh drywall that wasn't prepped first. And that's when my mother-in-law's mirror collection came in handy. Can't win? Cover up. That appears to be my motto.

Raina Cox said...

I haven't had Toad's luck with DIF.

I used on it the Pea's bedroom and it would have been faster if I'd licked the old paste off.

If you plan on papering, just go right over the old stuff. Don't bother taking it back to the drywall.

P.S. Now that I can see an entire wall of the older paper, I am in lurve.

Karena said...

Getting a lot done David! I remember days of stripping wallpaper from a home in Westwood. Oh dear. I think it is the most grueling of jobs. I used a spray water bottle, it was a huge chore! Of course you never know what surprises you will find!

David said...

Raina, try Chomp next time you have some paper to take down, you can usually find it at the Home Despot. I had decent luck with it removing the burlap in the corner bedroom.

Karena, luckily what was on top of this came down like it was hung with laundry starch, whole sheets at a time. I was literally done in 5 minutes.

Karena said...

That was very fortunate!!

Decorina said...

That old wall paper is beautiful. I like it a lot. Probably real wall "paper". That stuff stuck with a vengance to plaster...and is a huge PITA to remove.

DIF has worked for me on some wall papers and not so much on others. Definitely worth living with for awhile at least.