MidMal Recommends: C&B Gala Stemware

We don't entertain often at Chez Malaise (and certainly won't be doing so anytime soon), but we like to have the necessary basics so that we're ready when the urge hits. Brett and I are liquor drinkers mostly, and we have great glasses in singles, doubles, and talls that fill most any need. What we've never had is good wine glasses.

I picked some up a long time ago at Tuesday Morning, mostly because I liked the design of the stem. It wasn't until the first time I went to pour someone some wine that I realized the glasses I brought home were ridiculously large. Way too tall, holding way too much, we never used them. On moving day I gave them to the cleaning lady and was thrilled to be rid of them.

We've had a Crate & Barrel gift card in our wallet since last Christmas, when the print we liked disappeared from the store/catalog/website. Tonight we went out to see if we couldn't find a simple, serviceable wine glass.

Tons to choose from, from way-too-big to why bother, the 12-ounce Gala was just right. Thin but not too, substantial without being heavy, and at $3.95 a piece not a big expense at all. We picked up a dozen for all-purpose wine drinking, and might add some balloon goblets for reds somewhere down the road.

7 comments:

home before dark said...

The red wine glasses should never be filled more than half, preferably just a third to allow room for the wine to breathe! Also reduces spillage. Years ago got great wisdom from a wine drinking friend. Match you wine to your carpet. Which is why my dining room carpet is the color of a cabernet! Happy hosting.

Karena said...

The reds, which I love, especially The Pinot Noirs, in the fall and winter can be dangerous! When I see a wine glass filled almost to the top I cringe. although I certainly appreciate a good pour!

Toad said...

I've longed for a set of Riedel whiskey glasses. Can't see it happening though.

Kathy said...

The only thing I don't like about Crate and Barrel is that they change what they carry all the time. You find a style of glassware (or silverware, or tableware) you like, then a year later when you want to replace or supplement what you have, they no longer carry that style. Gets to be expensive.

soodie :: said...

These large wine glasses nowadays are dangerous. They are like mini fish bowls. And especially dangerous when the hostess keeps pouring wine into them before you have finished so you can't count how many glasses you've had. I can testify to that Friday night. It is now Sunday night and I think my headache has finally subsided. I'm sticking to my Guinness or scotch. Red wine in large fish bowls with a thin stem is too lethal for me.

David said...

You and me Soodie....Johnnie Walker Black in a sensibly sized glass.

Russ Manley said...

Country boy here likes a little White Zif with a nice dinner ever once in a while. So when I moved to where I am now, I went and bought a 4-pak of anchor hocking stems at wally world. They look exactly like the first on the left in your pic. $4 for all 4.

I'm just saying. Grin.