When floor space is at a premium

I know it must seem like I'm obsessed with gutting our bathrooms but it takes a while for plans to come together in my head, so bear with me. The half-bath (with the purple sink and toilet) are way down on the to-do list, but I'm tossing ideas around. Tucked in between the kitchen and the family room, I'm guessing it's about 4 by 6 or so. It's not a bad size, but there are a couple things we can do to make it feel more spacious. One is moving the sink from next to the toilet to the end wall facing the door. The other has to do with the toilet itself.

Pictured above is the Duravit Vero toilet with in-wall tank. Not only does its concealed tank give back a bit of floor space, but look at the sides, all verticle. I'm betting it bolts to the wall rather than the floor, so you don't have to have those flat parts on the sides that catch dust, or those annoying bolt caps that invariable come off when you're scrubbing things down.

My question for you is do you have, or know anyone who has, an in-wall tank? Duravit is a german company and I tend to trust german engineering, but it's very different from what one normally sees so I'm slightly hesitant. Also they're not cheap, so if I decide to go with it (ha!) it's a fairly serious commitment.

From reading around the net, I believe they come with a "service door" that installs on the other side of the wall so you can get in easily should something need a repair. The other side in this case would be my kitchen, but if I place the fridge there (which would make sense in the kitchen plan) getting to the service door could be as easy as rolling it out from the wall.

So, anyone have any experience with these? If you do, please share.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the looks of this-- easy to clean too. Don't think it would work in my bathroom retrofit, as there would not be easy access from the closet on the other side.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It's very modern and lovely if thats the direction you're going. One of my projects at work (a rare modern one) we're doing wall hung toilets with in wall tanks (think men's rest room at the airport). They're also from duravit.

Kathy said...

I like that this could double as a vanity seat in a small bathroom.

Decorina said...

Of course you could always use the sink/toilet combo found in every prison cell... Sorry, couldn't resist. But I kid.

Cool looking unit. And access through the wall would work with the refrigerator in front of it. See if you can find anything negative online - otherwise...toilets are really the simplest fixtures. And not up for really heavy use in a guest powder room.

Karena said...

Very clean and modern lines. I like the idea of easy cleaning also!!

Carol-Leah said...

Men, toilets, space saving, WALL HUNG