Winter Fine Arts and Antiques Auction

***Post Auction Update*** BLOODBATH. Here's how it ended up:

Grant Wood litho - $2,000, and the condition was pretty rough
Dog portrait - $250 (I'm pissed at myself that I didn't go on this, it was gorgeous in person, cleaned and relined by a conservator in 1995. Far lesser dog paintings on ebay right now for way more $. Lesson learned.)
Mah Jongg Set - $275, I never bid, I didn't think it was all that old and the case left me saying "meh"
Seascape - $550, gorgeous painting, worth way more, I just didn't have the free cash
Bronze - $180, which seems a bit much for unsigned work. "Consigned with" two other signed bronzes means nothing
Goodknight landscape - $90, didn't love it so much in person and didn't bid
Norio Azuma serigraph - $80, I let go at 70 and it went to a local dealer. I just couldn't bid more not knowing anything about the artist and it being in the bottom half of the run.

Fun sale to watch, but a drag coming home empty handed.
--------------------------------------------

Tuesday evening is KC Auction Co.'s Winter Fine Arts and Antique sale. These quarterly catalog sales are always interesting, so I'm heading down after work. Even though I'm not in the market for a linen press, antique Stuben, or victorian jewelry, it's always interesting to see things and what they sell for.

I am always in the market for interesting art, and there are some great things coming up on the block.

This pencil signed lithograph is by Grant Wood. I like the image, but there are some condition issues. The paper has some foxing in addition to the old tape damage on the corners. Pre-auction bidding (these sales are also live on the internet) is up to $600 so it won't be coming home with me, and thats okay.




This dog in profile painting has no pre-auction bids, so if it looks like it's in good shape when I go to preview, I'll give it a shot. From the photos it appears to be a quality painting, and I think a new frame might really breathe some life into it. I've said before that I've avoided buying dog art because I think it's better that I just not start. I'm over that now so who knows, perhaps this will be the first of many.

I love mah jongg sets. I have only a rudimentary understanding of the game, I just think the pieces are so beautiful. The box for this set isn't my favorite, but I'll be interested to see it in person. These generally sell well, and I always fear its to crafters who'll turn the tiles into drawer pulls and elastic bracelets. (Crafters, this is how that word got a bad connotation)

This is the painting I was really interested in, an oil on canvas by Bennett Bradbury. Framed dimensions are 19" by 23", which is a nice size. Born in Massachusetts in 1914, he ended up in California and is known for seascapes like these. Pre-auction bidding was at $110.00 earlier today which only mildly concerned me. Tonight its sitting at $275.00 so I'm pretty sure its going way over my head. The auction data I found has his past sales in the 3K -5K range. I think it's really beautiful and I'll be very interested to see what it sells for.

Sculpture is something I rarely buy. I sold a couple things at the antique mall, but I could likely find a spot for this 9 inch tall bronze. It's attributed to a Kansas City artist named Clara Bikales. I know nothing about her, but I do like the form. If I were lucky enough to bring it home we'd have to find a more attractive base. Polished stone block perhaps?

If you've paid attention to the art I've mentioned and/or bought in the past, you know I have a thing for landscapes. This little oil on board woodland scene is by Colorado artist Veryl Goodknight. I think a new frame could smarten it up quite a bit, but it's a pretty nice little painting as is. It's 14" by 16" framed, so again could fit in anywhere.

Of course I do like a little bit of modern too, like this serigraph (silkscreen) print titled "Calm" by Norio Azuma. I know nothing about Mr./Ms. Azuma, and this is the lower half of the run (277 of 500), but I like the image a lot and could certainly find a spot for it. Things like this often sell for very reasonable prices, so again I'm anxious to see it in person to know if I want to bid.

Hopefully I'll come home with something good and can chronicle another framing project soon.

7 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

David,
That dog portrait, oh my. I hope you get it.

Karena said...

Love the Zamora and Goodnight art. very nice!
Karena
Art by Karena

home before dark said...

Sorry that dog didn't come home with you. I personally loved it the most and I'm sure it was wagging its tail at you crying out to be adopted. I hope it's in a good home.

Who knew about mah jongg sets? I have one in my basement (my husband grandmother's). May have to explore this thing further.

anita said...

sorry you came home empty handed!
and thanks for the comment on raina's blog - maybe we could talk "business changes" sometime!

David said...

HBD, the actual game pieces are so beautiful, get it out and look at it if you haven't.

Anita, you can email me at davidallen1967@gmail.com. Business or social messages are always welcome.

Decorina said...

Nice things David. Next time maybe you will be able to bring something home.

BTW, I don't think it matters at all where the numbered work is in a run. Just the size of the run and whether you love the work or not. I thought it was gorgeous.

Next time.

Vida Bikales said...

The bronze abstract that is pictured was done by my Mother, Clara Bikales, who died in 1995 at the age of 77. She was a graduate of Sophie Newcome in New Orleans and married to the late Victor W. Bikales, MD for 54 years. Even though Mrs. Bikales had her Masters in Social Work and raised four children, played the piano and was a fabulous cook, she was the most proliphic artist I have ever known. There was no medium, oils, acrylics, bronze, plexiglass, or style, from portrait busts to abstracts, that she wouldn't try. There are pieces of her work on display in Kansas City, including North Kansas City Hospital (OB unit), D.W Newcomer's Johnson County Funeral Chapel & Cemetary and St. Joseph Hospital. Mrs. Bikales' works have been on display at most of the Kansas City local art shows. She was one of the founders of the Westport Art Fair. At the time of her death, she was a member of Mu Phi (musical fraternity) and the Kansas City Artists Coalition.